DELPHI - UNESCO
WORLD HERITAGE SITE
Delphi site is located in lower central Greece, on multiple plateau/terraces
along the slope of Mount Parnassus, and includes the Sanctuary of Apollo,
the site of the ancient Oracle. This semicircular spur is known as
Phaedriades, and overlooks the Pleistos Valley. Southwest of Delphi, about
15 km (9.3 mi) away, is the harbor-city of Kirrha on the Corinthian Gulf.
The site had been occupied by the village of Kastri since medieval
times and this had to be relocated before a systematic excavation of the
site could be undertaken, a relocation resisted by the residents. The
opportunity to relocate the village was presented when it was
substantially damaged by an earthquake, with villagers offered a
completely new village in exchange for the old site. In 1893 the French
Archaeological School removed vast quantities of soil from numerous
landslides to reveal both the major buildings and structures of the
sanctuary of Apollo and of Athena Proaea along with thousands of objects,
inscriptions and sculptures.
Four areas of the site have been reconstructed to greater of lesser
extents. The Treasury of the Athenians was fully reconstructed from its
original materials by the original French excavation team under the
sponsorship of the Mayor of Athens. The Altar of the Chians was
reconstructed in 1959 by the Greek Archaeological Services. The Tholos and
Temple of Apollo have been subject to limited reconstructions
Modern Delphi is situated immediately west of the archaeological site and
hence is a popular tourist destination. It is on a major highway linking
Amfissa along with Itea and Arachova. There are many hotels and guest houses
in the town, and many taverns and bars. The main streets are narrow, and
The Trans European Footpath E4 passes through the east end of the town.
In addition to the archaeological interest, Delphi attracts tourists
visiting the Parnassus Ski Center and the popular coastal towns of the
region. The town has a population of 2,373 people while the population of
the municipality of Delphi, including Chrisso (ancient Krissa), is 3,511.
In medieval times Delphi was also called Kastri and was built on the
archaeological site. The residents had used the marble columns and
structures as support beams and roofs for their improvised houses, a usual
way of rebuilding towns which were partially or totally destroyed,
especially after the earthquake in 1580 which demolished several towns in
In 1893 archaeologists from the École française d'Athènes finally located
the actual site of ancient Delphi and the village was moved to a new
location, west of the site of the temples.
WHAT YOU SHOULD SEE
The Delphi Archaeological Museum is at the foot of the main archaeological
complex, on the east side of the village, and on the north side of the main
The museum houses an impressive collection associated with ancient Delphi,
including the earliest known notation of a melody, the famous Charioteer, golden
treasures discovered beneath the Sacred Way, and fragments of reliefs from the
Siphnian Treasury. Immediately adjacent to the exit (and overlooked by most tour
guides) is the inscription which mentions the Roman proconsul Gallio.
Entries to the museum and to the main complex are separate and chargeable,
and a reduced rate ticket gets entry to both. There is a small cafe, and a post
office by the museum. Slightly further east, on the south side of the main road,
is the Gymnasium and the Tholos. Entry to these is free.
SYGROU 29 - DELPHI - FOKIS
82097 FAX: 22650 83097 MOBILE: